Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Music, Badges & Pizza

Eden sent me a badge with a sheep on it.
My mother said, Why the sheep?
My mother does not understand things.
The badge said I had a bright future.
I wish I could put music in a packet, and push it inside my chest. So that my heartbeat was filled with the sounds I love most.
Andy has moved. Andy has moved far away. And Troy? Troy has now been lost to my dreams.
Actually, he crops up there quite often. The other night, he was dressed in black pants and unwashed hair, with bright skin.
‘He-ey,’ he said, ironically, grinning at me.
He was standing in the corridor, outside my door.
‘You hungry?’
The grin enticed me outside, for pizza, even though I was wearing bright floral leggings and a baggy grey sweater. It appeared that Troy had returned from his sojourn simply to ask me out for pizza.
What deliriousness, no? What simple pleasures.

According to Aerosmith:

My my baby blue yeah
I’m thinking bout you
my my baby blue
yeah you’re so jaded and
I’m the one that jaded you


It is funny that Troy knew so well in advance the contours of the shape he would imprint on my heart. He spelled it out to me, many times, in songs and notes, and the words he spoke. I was the one who chose not to listen, then.
Leave Troy to the dust! they whisper. Andy (even though he would have to shout because he’s so far away), and Eden and Belle. Even Maddie, though I don’t speak to her anymore.

Katy Rose holds out hope that ‘You might just turn into something I like’. Which is really, the optimistic attitude I should have. So. Focus! Taylor! Focus!
But the only thing is, I have forgotten how to focus.

So how will the sheep be right, if I cannot focus? It is a quandary.
Poor sheep. I should tell Eden that animals on badges cannot accurately predict the future (a slow, lonely tear, will slide down my cheek as I say this.)

No comments: