It's less of a regularity, and more of an Occurrence. Which is still somewhat bizarre, and still takes some getting used to.
We were navigating ourselves out of a tricky situation. Which really shouldn't mean anything, but it does, because in Real Life we never did any such thing. It seemed that the time we spent together was bathed in brightness, like sunlight or moonlight (which is nothing but reflected sunlight? so.) and was time that was bereft of tricky situations, or anything that required anything like resourcefulness or intellectualism, and nothing more than laughter.
What kind of friendships do I have these days? A nomadic question; one that is constantly moving place, restless like a storm.
I drank lots of coffee today. Mostly because it was the only thing in the house. I had five cups, and now my leg is bouncing and my eyes are bright and my fingers are running away from me. I was hungry before, but now! Things are much simpler.
I want to say to someone, one day, that "All is Forgiven". Is it too Biblical for me? Maybe I can write it.
I know why people, in general, believe in God. I try and convince them out of it, like Richard Dawkins would. But it's hard work, eh? On the whole we are a superstitious species; a lingering characteristic of growing up in a world of dark forests and strange seasons and unfathomable spaces in the sky. But that doesn't mean that now we have our minds we can choose not to use them. I want to live in America, and send down roots there, and watch my leaves grow.
And then I want to pick them off, one by one, like drying scabs, and watch them fall gently to the ground. And then I want to drag up my roots, slowly and painfully, and catch my breath, and push off out across the sea to somewhere lush and green where I will not be the only wizened old tree on the landscape.
And there, I want to put other things in the ground, smaller clumps of roots like wrinkled children's feet or strawberries, and tend them gently, and watch them outgrow me in wisdom, and happiness, and chance. And when they're ready, they can choose for themselves whether to stay in the dark and peaceful forest, or fly away into a bright and terrifying sky.
No comments:
Post a Comment